diy ombre vases

If you're like me, you have a collection of decorative accessories that you have gathered throughout the years that you cannot bring yourself to throw away (like my vast pillow collection in the living room closet). You REALLY might need them someday, right? When we moved into our new house last summer, I had a ton of things that didn't really fit the new aesthetic. The horrid green vase below, is a perfect example. The vases only had one spot in the house they could fit, size wise, but the transparent green did not compliment the navy blue bookshelves that would become their new home. They sat in the corner for a few months collecting dust until one day, I had a light bulb moment. *DING!*

I could attempt to spray paint these sad guys and if I fail, no harm. It's not like they were making a good impression being all sad and dusty hanging out in the corner. So, the vases and I headed out to the garage for a spray paint makeover.


 


Supply List:
  • Primer spray paint
  • Base color spray paint (I chose white)
  • Ombre color spray paint (I chose gold)
  • Painting paper (or newspaper) to protect the ground surface
Estimated Project Time: 1 Hour (Including dry time)




 So I want to start off this DIY by apologizing for the inconsistent photos. This is a project I did a few months ago, but I still wanted to share this with you. NOW - with that being said, let's begin!

Lay down your painting paper and place your item on top. Paint the entire surface with your primer. 

Once your layer of primer has dried, paint the surface with your base color.

**Keep at least 8-10" between your paint can and its victim. If you get too close, it can cause thick sections and drips which show very easily. Keep your can moving from left to right and release the trigger when you reach the outer most part of your object on each side. 




When your base color is completely dry, flip your object upside down and begin your ombre effect. You will use your same spray technique but once you get to the point you want to achieve the faded look, you want to gradually move your paint can farther away from the object.




Once your object is completely dry, bring it back inside, and enjoy!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you think...